Saturday, January 21, 2006

Fuchsia

We all know how to spell fuchsia, right? Yes, I did spell it right - F U C H S I A. Today's dictionary has one word separating fuchsia from fuck, and that is Fuchsin (a synthetic dyestuff, used to make a purple-red dye for coloring textiles and as a bacterial stain).

But don't you want to know WHY we spell fuchsia this way? PFG the linguist did and this is what her American Heritage Dictonary tells us of the etymology of fuchsia: NLat. Fuchsia, genus name, after Leonard Fuchs (1501-66), German Botanist

Many thanks to buleria for teaching me how to spell fuchsia, and enduring my seemingly never-ending excitement about it.

Many thanks to pfg, for learning how to spell it today and then wondering why.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And this is why dictionaries are so cool.
:-)

-e

4:21 PM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger katiedid said...

I had no idea - I just figured it was one of the many vagaries and mysteries of the English language, and never really thought about it. Who knew that fuchsia had a story? I mean besides buleria, that is. Neat post R.

8:54 PM, January 21, 2006  
Blogger Trina said...

I've been misspelling it all my life! I thought it was fuschia. Thanks for the e-juh-muh-cay-shun!

8:56 PM, January 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore a fuchsia dress to the Vassar Winter Formal in 1980. I was attending SUNY New Paltz. I think that was it for fuchsia for me. For life.

chrisskins

PS: Luv the blog, dahling

12:20 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

That's both fascinating and disappointing. Do men have to stick a label bearing their name on EVERYTHING?

3:53 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

You know, this was similar to my reaction too. I got annoyed about the fake Latin ending. It's so easy to make up a scientific sounding name, for example, Dipshitia Loserium.

8:54 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

Well, the main reason why men put their names on everything - OK you know why. But the other reason is that mostly men were the ones who had professions until fairly recently. I know for a fact my older daughter can't wait to discover a previously unknown dinosaur or star or something and name it cjbluesbabysaur.

1:06 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

It's been a while since you blogged. What's up?

9:14 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

PFG: Haven't had much to say, plus was kinda sick this past week. I'll try to get a new post up today or tomorrow.

R

10:02 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger mireille said...

hope you're feeling better. thank you. ♥ xoxo

10:11 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

that buleria is such a good influence eh?

xo

5:53 PM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home