Thursday, December 29, 2005

Best of 2005



I apologize for being late in posting this, I came down with the plague yesterday and have been trying to get well before I have people in my house for New Year's Eve. I have been charged with creating a Top 10 list of 2005's beauty discoveries. You should know that I am very much a creature of habit - I tend to stick with what I know (or think I know) works. So in the course of a year, I don't make all that many new beauty discoveries. However, here are 10 products I have truly come to love in the last year, listed in no particular order:

1. Caron French Can Can - This has been the year of Caron discoveries for me. These days, it is rare that a fragrance really sparks my imagination and captivates me. When I wear French CanCan I can't stop sniffing myself. Notes: jasmine, lilac, violet, lily of the valley, rose, orange blossom, patchouli, iris, sandalwood, amber, oakmoss (thank you to Bois de Jasmin for this information). This one is available only as parfum extrait (at least in the Caron boutique) but it's my absolute next fragrance purchase. It's completely worth it. This is class personified. When my mom sniffed it on me, she said "It smells old-fashioned." It does. But like your favorite grandmother or aunt, the one with impeccable taste who always wore hats.

2. Nars Blush, specifically Nars Deep Throat - I rarely try new makeup, but everybody had been raving about Nars blushes so I thought I'd try it myself. Had a makeover by the Nars folks at Barney's and I bought the blush. It's a wonderful blush, goes on just right, is hard to overapply, never looks streaky and is perfect for daytime wear. I plan to get another Nars blush for evening.

3. Guerlain Shalimar Light - This one I fell in love with on first spritz. Shalimar has always been a bit on the heavy side for me, and I tend to like heavy scents. But I tried this in an Ulta store right in the beginning of summer and I needed to own it. It starts off with a burst of fresh lemon - not the artificial kind, but like a lemon grove lemon. This fragrance to me is like wearing Shalimar you applied 8 hours ago and walking through a lemon grove. This is Shalimar perfected.

4. Malin & Goetz Cleanser - When was the last time you looked forward to washing your face? This grapefruity lathering face cleanser will do that to you. I received a sample, used it for a couple of weeks and fell in love. I'm totally hooked and my skin looks great. I also use their lotion for daytime. Malin & Goetz is a new addition to the skincare world, but their products are amazing quality and minimalistic in packaging and added ingredients. Great stuff.

4. Trader Joe's Midsummer Night's Cream - I picked this up recently at Trader Joe's and although it's a cream, it's not quite as thick as many others. Definitely thicker than a lotion though. This is the one that saves me from owning a million body lotions and creams in corresponding scents to my fragrances. A little of this cream in my hand (convenient pump bottle), a spray or two of the day's fragrance, mix it in and voila! Layering.

5. Caron Narcisse Noir - Ooooh, I fell hard for this one on first try too. I love the paperwhite scent. So clean and yet simultaneously intriguing. You want to keep smelling this one, to go beneath the clean white exterior. This is a beautiful fragrance.

6. Johnson & Johnson Vanilla Jasmine Baby Powder - A very recent discovery, I love inexpensive good finds and this one totally fits the bill. It has none of that baby powder smell, but instead a lovely warm floral scent. And the powder itself is great too. If you haven't tried Johnson baby powders since you had a baby or were one, it's time to give it another shot.

7. Ormonde Jayne Tolu - The first time I tried this one, I didn't love it but on retrying it, I fell madly in love and this was my staple fragrance all summer. However, it's also perfect for Winter and especially holiday parties. Tolu is hard to describe...think old-world library but not musty. Overstuffed chairs, comfort, lingering smell of incensey tobacco. Lush and comforting and definitely unique. It's that crazy resin. The resin combined with the slight edge from the sage keeps this from being too plush a fragrance, if that makes sense. I can sit on the overstuffed chairs without sinking in up to my neck.

8. Coty Sand & Sable - This is one I keep around to remind myself that I'm not really a fragrance snob. "Hey, I got this at the drugstore for uder $10!" It seems that most people have Junior High School memories with this one, but in Jr. High I was wearing Ysatis, so this for me is a 2005 discovery. Tuberose based, it really does smell luxurious like sable and I can smell the sand in there. It's the perfect summer evening fragrance.

9. Yves Saint Laurent Nu Body Cream - I received this as a birthday gift back in January, after I fell in love with Nu the fragrance. Unfortunately, it seems to be completely discontinued and available only when lightning strikes at Marshalls or TJMaxx for between $15-20. I've also seen it online for around $60. This is like the spiciness of Nu, but mellower and in a thick, rich body cream. It's sandalwoody and spicy and I can smell it the next morning when I put it on before bed. This is an incredible body cream and I'm just about to begin hoarding mode on what I have left.

10. Le Couvent des Minimes Honey products - this is an amazing line, found in my Bath & Body Works flagship store. The whole line of honey stuff smells just like real honey, and the lotion is thick and creamy, like whipped honey. This is amazing for layering, or just for any time you want to smell like pure, gorgeous honey.

Thank you for reading, and please visit the other blogs participating in the Best of 2005! Also, a huge thank you to Scentzilla, Now Smell This and Blogdorf Goodman for all their work in coordinating the Best of 2005. I wish my readers and fellow bloggers all the best in 2006.

28 Comments:

Blogger mireille said...

Midsummer's Night Cream! So many good ideas here! And Happy New Year, R! xoxo

11:55 AM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I want that cream too, R, it sounds perfect! And your description of Tolu is absolutely on target.

Wishing you a happy 2006!

12:18 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger risa said...

R, this is a terrific list. i'm now after that baby powder, and i'll have to sniff the Les Couvent des Minimes line!

i, too, keep Sand and Sable around for the same reason. it is a lovely scent, though, so i have no regrets over it like i did the Coty Wild Musk purchase ;)

i don't know how well this will work, but i have Nars Sin blush and it really disappears (in a good way) on my skin when i use it. i think you're paler than me, and Orgasm might work for you. *cough*

anyway, i hope you and yours have the best New Year ever, and i'll see you this coming year!

12:24 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Marina said...

I hope you feeling better now, plague shouldn't be taken lightly LOL

I am going to purchase Coty Wild Woods, to remind myself about the same thing as you do with Sand and Sable and because I heard it smells kind of like Feminite du Bois. OK, the latter is the real reason, but still...

Happy New Year!!!!

1:32 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Bela said...

You poor thing! Hope you feel better soon!

What a great list! I'm like you, always on the lookout for bargains. Love baby lotions too.

We don't get the whole range of Coty products here any longer so no possibility of sniffing Sand & Sable (they could have called it Sand & Sand, or Sable & Sable. LOL!). Shame, it sounds very good. I adore Wild Musk Oil.

Happy New Year! :-)

1:54 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Victoria said...

Hello from another Ohio homegirl! Love your blog and love (and miss) the beautiful Blue Jays from my home town in Athens, Ohio.

I see we both have Tolu on our list! I hate to temp you further, but you simply must also try the matching D'Or gel. So lovely!

I keep hearing raves for Nu body cream, I've added that to my list of notes!

Stay warm and have a wonderful New Year!
Victoria O

2:26 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Annieytown said...

I will keep my eye out for the jasmine baby powder!
I am so glad that we did these lists. There are some great products that I had never heard of. I had no idea that they had new baby powders out. I am almost out of my Lush powder so this will be a great inexpensive alternative.

I caved on some French Cancan at the last sniffa. I had been stalking it for a little while.
This last year I ordered OJ samples so I could a whiff of the new releases. I originally dismissed Tolu when I first tried her scents. This time I fell hard. I have no idea what changed.

Have a great New Year R!

2:32 PM, December 30, 2005  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Happy New Year Ruth.
I love NARS blush too, its great. I have Orgasm, (what a name eh?)

all the best buddy,
xoxo
Laura

p.s. hope you're recovering from the plague ok.

11:22 PM, December 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm dying to try Narcisse Noir, but your description of it as paperwhites scares me, for they smell like poop to me! Ack!

ACK!

Mm, but I sure do love me some Sand and Sable! Great list!

1:21 AM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger Caitlin Shortell said...

This post made me want! Want! Want! Ok, I'll get ahold of myself, but thanks for doing that. And the description of Narcisse Noir made me crave it, especially. Happy New Year!

2:17 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger Kristen said...

I was surprised and happy to see the Vanilla Jasmine powder on your list! That has been a well-kept secret of mine for quite a while. :)

Happy New Year!

4:38 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Oh I love Trader Joe's. Have you tried their Honey Mango shave cream? It's clearly manufactured by Alba Botanica, but it's like half the price as the other AB creams, and it smells way way better.

I haven't tried the Couvent stuff at all from BBW yet - must remember to try it out!

5:10 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

Thanks everybody for your great comments! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and a great new year - best wishes for an incredible 2006.

R

10:15 AM, January 02, 2006  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Hello R,

I love the Honey products you mentioned...and I adore the Trader Joe's cream. Great list!

Have a wonderful New Year!

Jen

3:03 PM, January 02, 2006  
Anonymous Indian wedding outfits for grooms said...

I have been searching for quite some time for information on this topic and no doubt your website saved my time and I got my desired information. Your post has been very helpful. Thanks.

1:59 AM, July 30, 2012  
Anonymous Tunics style mens linen shirts said...

Admiring the time and effort you put into your weblog and detailed information you provide! catering for events

3:37 AM, November 05, 2012  
Blogger SEO said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed Roofing your blog posts.
sherwani

1:10 AM, January 12, 2013  
Blogger SEO said...

I'm so pleased to discover your site. I want to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!
tuxedo suits for men

1:34 AM, January 25, 2013  
Blogger SEO said...

We invite you to share your questions, opinions, suggestions or greetings to us, to your colleagues and other visitors of this website.
buy dining room furniture

7:16 AM, January 25, 2013  
Blogger SEO said...

Well I am so excited that I have found your post because I have been searching for some information on this for almost three hours! You\'ve helped me a lot indeed and by reading this article I have found many new and useful information about this...
Bollywood sarees

2:18 AM, February 18, 2013  
Anonymous Furniture Stores said...

This is so cool. I am such a huge fan of their work. I really am impressed with how much you have worked to make this website so enjoyable.

4:24 AM, March 23, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great post,It is really a big help.thanks for sharing nice blog . business for sale mn twin cities

12:54 AM, July 17, 2014  
Blogger Unknown said...

"obat kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah

1:17 AM, July 29, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

"obat ujung kemaluan keluar nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah obat kelamin pria keluar cairan nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah

1:17 AM, July 29, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

"mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah mengapa alat kelamin keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah kemaluan laki laki keluar nanah

1:17 AM, July 29, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

"obat alat kelamin keluar nanah obat alat kelamin keluar nanah obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan obat untuk cairan nanah yang keluar dari kemaluan

7:15 AM, July 29, 2015  
Anonymous Bridal sarees said...

Thank you for posting this type of great content…I was looking for something like this.I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such type of nice blogs.Keep sharing.thanks.

9:34 PM, August 31, 2015  
Blogger SOS Office said...

I appreciate your website. Its really very help full. Thanks for sharing the great information.

modular office furniture pune | modular office furniture bangalore
modular office furniture delhi | office workstation

3:19 AM, September 27, 2022  

Post a Comment

<< Home