Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Arrogance

The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.
~ Jim Rohn

None are more unjust in their judgments of others than those who have a high opinion of themselves.
~ Charles Haddon Spurgeon

He is a self-made man and worships his creator.
~ Attributed to John Bright, on Benjamin Disraeli

How haughtily he cocks his nose, to tell what every schoolboy knows.
~ Johnathan Swift

If I cannot brag of knowing something, then I brag of not knowing it; at any rate, brag.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities.
~ David Hume

To start blindly with a statement is a sign of arrogance and narrow-mindedness, and will lead to conflict. To start blindly with a question is a sign of uncertainty and honesty, and will lead to wisdom.
~ Scott Watson

There it is: it doesn't make any difference who we are or what we are, there's always somebody to look down on, somebody to hold in light esteem, somebody to be indifferent about.
~ Mark Twain

8 Comments:

Blogger PFG said...

Mad cat?

5:32 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

Haahahahaaaaa! That's why I love you - you really do get me. I'll email you, probably tomorrow.
MWAH

7:21 PM, August 03, 2005  
Blogger mireille said...

Something that interests me is whether arrogance comes from knowing too much or knowing too little ... with either, it seems to be a case of possessing so much or so little in a dark room, allowing no light from another being to provide perspective. In other words, oblivious. xoxoxoxo

7:11 PM, August 04, 2005  
Blogger Kate said...

I want to know what mad cat means! I feel so out of the loop!

5:42 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

M, you really tagged it. I think there are all kinds of arrogance. I wish I could remember the quote (or where I read/heard it) but it goes kind of like this: Give me a man who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting dinner partner. Give me a man who has read just one, and that's a dangerous man indeed.

I think arrogance works in many ways and comes about for a lot of different reasons. I'm guilty of arrogance on some levels too. I just hope that I would be nice to my adoring masses. If I had adoring masses, that is.

Kate, Mad Cat is a long story, best told over a bottle of wine but I will make it my next post, OK?

8:32 AM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger Sand said...

I love it! More please!

3:45 AM, August 06, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Yes, you must dish about "mad cat."

I was trying to dig up this quote I love, but I can't seem to find it. I'm 99% sure it's something I read in James Carville's book on loyalty, but I couldn't find it on a quick scan through the pages.

To paraphrase: He argues against people who say they don't suffer fools gladly, because fools are everywhere, and if you take the time to educate the fool they won't be a fool anymore. I'm not sure why I thought of it when I thought of "arrogance." Maybe because it's arrogant to think we're all not fools at some point in our lives, and thank goodness we have the good luck to find folks that suffer us, gladly or otherwise.

12:55 AM, August 07, 2005  
Anonymous Modern Beauty Girl said...

Thanks forr this blog post

4:58 PM, August 06, 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home