Friday, August 12, 2005

Beth

I had dinner last night with a good friend I don’t see nearly enough, considering that she’s a 45-minute or less drive from me. We had a great time, reconnected, and promised to try harder to get together more often.

At one point she told me she was talking to a friend and mentioned that we were getting together last night. She had said to her friend “The great thing about Ruth is what you see is what you get. There’s no ulterior motive, no games, no weirdness. I really appreciate that.”

I didn’t get a chance to tell her why I appreciate her. She’s smart, funny, witty, reliable (this is a big one with me), beautiful and direct. No games there either. She’s a great mom, her head is screwed on straight and she gives awesome advice. Plus, she likes shoes and perfume. :D

I don’t have time in my life for flaky people who play games and can’t be counted on. This might be why I don’t have a large group of friends, but the ones I do have, I try to keep.

Anyway, not to get all sappy here, I have been stricken with the sentimentality that comes from reconnecting with somebody I care about. Beth, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you, and why. Also, please start a blog; I’d love to read your stuff.

And to anybody else reading this, I say: At some point today or in the next few days, tell somebody you appreciate WHY you appreciate them. It’s a good feeling to hear nice things about yourself from somebody whose opinion you value. And I don’t think any of us do it enough.

5 Comments:

Blogger mireille said...

I value you because you're conscientious, have walked on the wild side and aren't afraid to admit it, have wonderful taste in fragrance and because you're tall and can give me another, higher-up perspective. xoxoxo

1:09 PM, August 12, 2005  
Blogger Trina said...

Ruthie, I appreciate SO many things about you! I've told you before that you remind me of my former-dominatrix friend. What I didn't tell you is that you have all of her good qualities - intelligence, humor, wit, and attitude to name a few - without ANY of the negatives. Like your friend Beth said, I don't have to deal with weirdness or games or hidden agendas with you. You're honest and sincere, and just SO full of fun and life!

And (unlike me, who often epitomizes flakiness) you're wonderfully dependable. I can't recall you EVER talking about making excuses to get out of something, or bailing on someone even when they may have done so to you.

OK - I need to stop now before I turn into a *total* kiss-ass. Just wanted to pipe up now, rather than follow my usual MO (procrastinate-and-forget). Mwah! You rock!

4:10 AM, August 13, 2005  
Blogger cjblue said...

LOL! You guys, I'm blushing here. I totally wasn't looking for compliments, although I definitely appreciate what you've both said. And since you started...

M, I appreciate that you are honest and brave enough to lay yourself out there for all the world to see. You let me vent with an open mind and you have the ability to laugh me out of a crappy mood. You stand up for people and principles you believe in and I admire that.

T, I value you because you are truly kind. You have tons of love to give and the ability to laugh at yourself. I don't think you're a flake, you have wonderful taste in music (we're working on the fragrance bit, LOL), a smile that lights up a room and you know how to take care of animals that need love.

3:11 PM, August 13, 2005  
Blogger Bela said...

You're right, R, we too often take the people we love for granted. Thanks for the reminder. You're all very nice women. :-)

9:24 PM, August 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just blogged on in dire need of some good Ruthspeak, and then I saw THIS... For anyone who knows me, it rendered me pretty much speechless (which is a super darn hard thing to do).
So, just a great big THANKS then ;)

2:49 PM, September 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home