Monday, February 27, 2006

What would you do

if you woke up at 4am and saw a gigantic scary black bug on the ceiling directly above your head?



1. Go back to sleep, hoping everything is find and have nightmares about gigantic scary black bugs dropping onto your face in your sleep. BUGS...ewwww.

2. Get out of your nice warm bed, go into the kitchen, get a glass and a piece of paper, go back into the bedroom, catch the gigantic scary black bug and release it into the 15-degree weather outside. I mean, I am a 21-st century woman, right? I can handle a bug.

3. Wake up your sleeping husband who spent all day Friday in the emergency room of the local hospital to rule out pneumonia...and make him get up and get rid of the gigantic scary black bug? Isn't that what we keep the men around for? Bug patrol?

4. Other (explain in your post)

What do you think *I* did?

Today's fragrance: Napa Valley Boheme. I really like this spicy floral oriental fragrance, only wish it had better lasting power. I sprayed it on generously less than two hours ago and I'm barely smelling it now. It definitely stays close to the skin, little or no sillage (waftiness). I personally like to waft. Listed notes are: Top notes of Bergamot, Lemon, Pepper, Rosewood, Neroli and Galbanum.
Mid notes of Rose Geranium, Orris, Lily, White Rose, Bulgarian Rose, Carnation, Grandiflorum Jasmine (Egyptian), Honey, Lilac and Clove Bud.
Base Notes of Tolu and Peru Blossom, Benzoin, Siam and Virginia Cedars, Amber, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Patchouli, Myrrh, Tobacco and Tree Moss.

That's a lot of ingredients, but it's a well-blended scent. The interesting thing about scents with a lot of ingredients is that they tend to shine differently on different people. It has a bit of an old-world feel, as if maybe it would have been popular with black & white movie starlets. I love galbanum in fragrances, but the top notes are fleeting. By the time it dries on my skin, we're into the middle range. Lovely rose and orris with a hefty dose of clove & carnation and a touch of sweetness from the honey. I also get a definite tobacco feel throughout. The drydown is a bit more woodsy/ambery - an earthy context for the spicy floral, which remains. Overall, I think this scent is a slightly dangerous old world glamour scent. Like a beautiful woman with a dark side. I only wish it lasted a bit longer.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My answer carries a qualifier. At 4am it would have to be #3. At almost any other hour (say, between 6am and midnight), then it would be #2. #1 is never an option when the beast is directly over the bed - no truce possible so close to the inner sanctum.

6:51 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Trina said...

LOL! Considering what my *first ever* blog post was about, I think it's clear that I'm a #2 kinda gal. That's assuming I don't decide to go some totally-Trina route and make a pet of said intruder! LOL!

So - what kind of bug was it? And if you did decide to go some route that will make me cry, please don't share!


T

p.s. I posted a special reply comment, just for you, on my blog!

5:09 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

Trina, ROFL! I smelleth? Gimme the tune though, I can't place it. I should add the lyrics to the Ruth song Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach) wrote for me. If you haven't seen the lyrics to that one, here it is, in its entirety. It's a round. :D

Ruth, Ruth, Ruth
Oh yes it's Ruth
Forsooth it's Ruth
She hates Vermouth
Forsooth, you know she's not uncouth
And that's the truth.
She has youth
And she's not John Wilkes Booth.
No, she's...(repeat)

10:05 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Marina said...

Definitely No 3. No doubt about it. Waking up will be accomplished by an insanely loud scream.

10:52 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger PFG said...

We had this conversation about bug patrol. If I recall, having the girls has forced you to take on this role, but you do it reluctantly. This means you spend a lot of time on bug patrol. You are a strong brave 21st century woman, but given that you do more than your fair share of bug patrolling every day, I might be inclined to choose 3.

What would I do?
4. Slink slowly out of bed to avoid alerting the possibly predatory insect. Pull covers entirely up over pillows, exposed bed linen, husband, etc. Quickly scan room for an appropriate object, slip over and retrieve object - staying low in case the bug flies. Creep onto bed in a low crouch then LUNGE upward to deliver the death blow. Grind object hard against ceiling several times saying "Die!" Peek at object, one more grind for good measure. Obtain tissue from bathroom (baw-throom), clean up ex-bug. Show ex-bug to fully awake husband. Spend at least a week demanding recognition for having defended husband, indeed ENTIRE FAMILY, from this horrible menace.

4:14 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Victoria said...

#3 for me. I betting you did #3 also.

8:07 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Trina said...

It *is* a PDQ Bach song, you know - "My Bonny Lass She Smelleth", a parody of the choral/madrigal song "My Bonny Lass She Smileth". I just made it all about you - and since he already wrote you a song, I doubt he'd object to tacking my little verses on the end or something :~D Here's where you can see it on his site:
http://www.schickele.com/composition/twomadrigals.htm

Now Ruthie, *how* am I supposed to "give you the tune" online? I can sing it, but you won't hear. Plus, all I know/remember is the alto part :~P

8:18 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger cjblue said...

Trina, I posted your song on the boards yesterday (cause I was so proud) and was informed that it's a PDQ Bach song and I almost peed myself. I have yet to hear it, but I can really imagine it now. I'm so honored that you composed that little ditty just for me! ♥ Now I also understand why I smelleth. :D

And to everybody else, you're all right. I went the #3 route. I considered going back to sleep for about a milisecond. Considered taking care of it myself for about 5 seconds, but envisioned myself standing on the bed with a glass and knocking the beast into the bed and never finding it again. I chose to get my husband out of his cough medicine-induced stupor and make him do it. PFG's right, I have bug patrol enough when I have to be "Mom."

And T...no bugs were harmed in the making of this blogspot.

10:19 AM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger mireille said...

I like waftiness. And I bet you wielded the glasstrap. xoxo *and, just before I posted, I read the post above. HA. He really loves you, huh.*

8:40 PM, March 04, 2006  
Blogger risa said...

i just read this - i am a #4 kinda gal.

4. turn on the light to make sure i'm seeing it correctly. groan in blindness for a while. squint up at it to make sure i'm not hallucinating. grab the machete from the side of the bed and scrape it off the ceiling onto the radiator or, if i'm lucky, into the fishtank. mutter various invective. turn off light.

...yes, i sleep with a machete right next to the bed. it will be one of my peculiarities in my post, you tagger you ;)

8:22 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger Kate said...

I would very likely go sleep in the guest room and deal with it in the morning. I am also likey to squish it. If I were more awake, I would do the whole "catch and release thing" but I am really not nice when I wake up in the night to nasty suprises.

3:14 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger WriterChick said...

I would ignore it, and i'm thinking you did that too. I came face to face with a mouse at 4 a.m. once and through my squinty, tired eyes, i said, "Oh come on dude, get lost please!" and it did. I'm no Dr. Doolittle, but a little "please go away" mixed with denial is a good thing when having to handle critters.

10:46 AM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home