Friday, September 23, 2005

Compilation for my kids

Before I get started, though, I would like to make a Public Service Announcement: This Sunday, September 25, is Laura's birthday. Pop over there and wish her a happy one! Thanks.

IF I happened to be tech savvy enough to figure out how to download music, this is the compilation CD I’d make for my kids (my compilation-making days ended when I switched from cassettes to CDs, but I used to be pretty good at it). Most of these songs are favorites for both of them. Dvorah is 7, Ariela is 4. These are their most-requested songs in the car. (In no particular order.)

Zulal is topping the car chart right now. This is an Armenian a capella folk trio. Sounds weird, I know, but they’re fantastic and the kids LOVE singing along in Armenian (no, we're not Armenian nor do we actually understand a single word) and hearing the story from the CD insert, what the song is about. They love the song Ghapama which is about a delicious squash dish somebody’s cooking and the entire village shows up to partake. But there’s only one squash.


Dixie Chicks are a big favorite. One day they were in the back seat fighting and I put on Sin Wagon reeeeeealllly loud. It starts with this big, loud Nascar guitar riff and shocked them into silence. Then they started rocking out. We’re not exactly church-going folks, so “sin” wasn’t in their vocabulary. Dvorah thinks sin is “When you stay up too late, drink tequila and don’t listen to your parents.” Ariela thinks “mattress dancing” is, you know, “jumping on the mattress and dancing around.” Clearly a sin. I haven’t introduced them to Goodbye Earl just yet. I love the Dixie Chicks. They’re down to earth, funny and not afraid to speak their mind. (I had a link here which I thought was recent, but it's not so never mind.)


Tom Waits’ song Anywhere I Lay my Head cracks them up every time. They think he’s the Cookie Monster. This song has the added bonus of morphing after 2 minutes into a burlesque-y horn & cymbal bit, which they call “the elephant circus dance!”


Sean Paul Get Busy is Ariela’s theme song. One of them anyway. She is positive he’s saying “Shake that thing, miss Ariela, shake that thing, yeah, Bella Bella…”


They Might be Giants’ Istanbul, not Constantinople is in heavy rotation too. Ariela sings “Even old New York, was once new Hamsterdam.”


David Francey, the Canadian Folk Singer, sings Red Winged Blackbird. This is a really pretty song, they heard him perform it in Nova Scotia a couple of years back, they love to make blackbird noises in the car and they know all the words. I have to sing it in an overdone Scottish accent.


Lennie Gallant, another Canadian folk singer, sings several that they love. Destination has a driving train rhythm and is half in French, which I have translated for them and they love to translate back to me. Meet me at the Oasis is a beautiful song with an Arabic feel. They have met Lennie several times and rock out at his shows.


Jewel. The album “Spirit” lives in my car, and they pretty much love the whole thing. Their top 3 favorites are What’s Simple is True, Hands, and Kiss the Flame. I guess her voice is pretty much in the right range for 4 & 7 year old girls, because they love singing along and can easily hit the high notes. I, on the other hand, have a bit more trouble.


Indigo Girls’ Southland in the Springtime is, of course, the family anthem. This one we don’t even need to play the CD for any more, and it’s a bedtime song too. They think it was written for us. Welcome Me is another favorite, although with the IG, there are too many favorites to list.

Today’s fragrance: Ormonde Jayne Tolu. Tolu is hard to describe...think old-world library but not musty. Overstuffed chairs, comfort, lingering smell of incensey tobacco. Lush and comforting and definitely unique. It's that crazy resin. The resin combined with the slight edge from the sage keeps this from being too plush a fragrance, if that makes sense. I can sit on the overstuffed chairs without sinking in up to my neck. Here are the notes:
- Top: Juniper berry, orange blossom and clary sage

- Heart: Orchid, Moroccan rose and muguet
- Base: Tolu, tonka bean, golden frankincense and amber

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Cool List! I will check those out. I love Tom Waites.

Danny likes Bob Marley, The Clash and Dave Matthews. :-)

2:13 PM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

i love the dixie chicks - the more blue grassy the better (i adore 'white trash wedding' and my littlies love dancing to it too!)

and i saw the indigo girls here in the UK about ten years ago (yikes!) - they're fab too although i haven't heard much of their recent stuff...will have to check out amazon

4:06 PM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger mireille said...

Tolu ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
xoxo

6:09 PM, September 24, 2005  
Blogger PFG said...

You've got some cool kids. I'll burn you some of the Black Rider CD by Waits, because it really does have some great songs on it. Russian dance is GREAT and mostly instrumental (except for some weird yelling in another language - presumably russian or maybe it's spanish?), which is good since most of the lyrics are pretty dark
(William Burroughs interpretted the story for the production).

rbzry: a faux colored gemstone (faux - that's French for "fake")

9:00 PM, September 25, 2005  
Blogger katiedid said...

Ach I love Tom Waits - Hang On St. Christopher is my absolute fave, I think.

And for the old or young, Istanbul Not Constantinople is a classic. Actually, pretty much all their catalog is. My kids have really cottoned to Triangle Man.

magho - that'd be me: too many magazine subscriptions, not enough books read.

9:13 PM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger baconwrappedfriedchicken said...

I think you may be the coolest mom ever!

xox
Ange

6:34 AM, October 03, 2005  
Blogger Bela said...

I'm not very au fait with contemporary music, but I adore the Dixie Chicks. First heard them on the Memorial 9/11 Concert: they were wonderful. I have some of their CDs now. :-)

12:32 AM, October 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home